So you know from a post a while back that our house was hit by a storm and flood. Since a flood had never hit our house and was never suppose to, we had little flood coverage. Therefore nothing was covered since our deductible was so very high, but there was a lot of work to do to get our backyard back from chaos and damage. So Aaron, in order to save money, was going to try to do all the work himself every free moment he had for months and months to come. He had already had months of stress for caring for my ill self, along with the kids since I couln't care for them, and trying to hold down a new job. I couldn't see him be overwhelmed with this nearly impossible task, and he was right that we couldn't afford to hire people to do it for us. Well, I sent out an SOS to our church and was blown away by their response.
Saturday, September 25 a modern day Army of God showed up at our house. More men and women then I can count or remember showed up to attack our backyard and house. A man I still don't know donated a dump truck, a front loading tracker, two heavy duty chainsaws, and two workers to show up at our house to accomplish the huge task of cutting and hauling off our super large and once glorious tree. Other foliage was trimmed and cut down. The old and half ripped up chain-link fence caused by the flood was dug up. Holes were dug to set the new posts for our new fence. The new posts were set. A new faucet to replace our leaking one was replaced in our kitchen. And, new wiring was stung through our attic to work our new hot water heater (to replace the one that leaked and destroyed my bathroom cabinet base).
Then, on Sunday after church a handful of some of the most selfless men I know showed up to finish installing the new fencing. They finished right at dusk. It was praise worthy because it was all accomplished just in time. The next morning I had to be at the hospital to have my heart ablation surgery. I could be at peace in knowing that while I needed to be recoverying my backyard was now safe for my kids and my dog to be in again.
Titus sitting on the tree trunk
Aaron and Titus on the trunk
Don Duty using he axe to dislodge the roots
Scott Ferguson and a kind man I don't even know working on removing the old fence
Roman Smith and David Rigsby digging up old fence posts
Mark DeFrere diggin up old fence posts
Jay Howard digging up old fence posts
Men at work
trying to cut through the thick trunk
Poppy with Skylyn
getting some help with the machinary to loosen up the posts
Men at work on the trunk
Scott Hammock and another kind gentleman replacing our faucet
John Kirkland using his tractor and auger to dig new fence post holes
dumping chunks of the tree trunk into the dump truck
trying to roll the big wooden pieces onto the front loader
The big finish - loading and hauling off the huge root base of the tree
Our tree filled up the entire truck - THANKS volunteers!!!!
working on setting the new fence posts
pouring and mixing the cement




1 comment:
Our church is made up of the most awesome people in the world, as evidenced their willingness to serve in ways both big and small.
I think this has always been my biggest example of God's work, when talking to unbelievers. How big our family's hearts are for helping those in need.
Post a Comment